Ahsan Manzil – The Pink Majesty:
Ahsan Manzil is one of the magnificent architectural heritage of Bangladesh. It was the residential palace and kachari (summer house) of Dhaka Nawab family. Ahsan Manzil is situated in Kumartuli, Shakara Waiz Ghat Bazar of Old Dhaka along the bank of the Buriganga River.
History Of Ahsan Manzil:
During the Mughal era it was the garden house of Sheikh Enayet Ullah, who was the Landlord of Jamalpur Pargana (Barisal). He occupied a large area, built a palace and named it ‘Rangmahal’. In 1740, Sheikh Moti Ullah who was the son of Sheikh Enayet Ullah sold the property to the French traders. The French made this as their trading center. It was Khwaja Alimullah who bought it from the French in 1830 and made this as their residence after necessary renovation works. Nawab Khwaja Abdul Gani made liaison with Martin &Co. (an European engineering firm & Construction co.) to make a master plan of the state. The construction begun in 1859 and completed in 1872. It was named Ahsan Manzil after the name of his son Khawaja Ahsanullah.
Ahsan Manzil has 31 rooms with a huge dome on the top which can be seen from miles away of around side. On either sides of the dome, the palace is internally divided into two symmetrically halves. The east wing of first floor is occupied by a large drawing room. Its northern side has a library and a card room whereas its eastern corner is affixed by four square rooms. The west wing of first floor comprises of a spacious Jalsha ghar. Its northern side has a Hindustani room whereas its western corner has four square rooms.
The Pink majesty, Ahsan Manzil has renovated, refurnished and recently converted into a museum. The 31 rooms of this palace has 23 galleries that displays traits, furniture, household goods and utensils used by the Nawab family.
The resurrected Ahsan Manzil is one of the most significant architectural monument of Bangladesh. It stands with pride bearing the artistic conceptualizations of the Nawabs.