The Temple Complex and Grand Puthia Palace

screenshot_395Puthia Temple Complex is the combination of some magnificent old hindu temples in Puthia Upazila of Rajshahi Division in Bangladesh. The entire complex includes a Palace, Dol Mancha and some artistic hindu temples. It is situated at 23 Kilometres east from Rajshahi main city and occupies the record of having the largest number of historic hindu temples in Bangladesh.

Puthia Rajbari (Palace) is a two storied building and one of the finest landlord palaces present in Bangladesh. The palace is facing towards a four storied large pyramid shape Dol Mancha. The aristocratic palace was constructed by Rani Hemantakumari Devi in 1895 AD in honour of her mother-in-law Maharani Saratsundari Devi. The central basin is beautifully ornated by a triangular pediment and the parapet decorated with delicate floral plaster. The long and broad verandah at east and west each carried out by four lofty sophisticated columns similarly from upper ceiling. The Palace is now used by Lashkarpur Degree College.

The elegant temple complex of Puthia consists of few temples among them Pancharatna Govinda Temple, Bhubaneshwar Shiva Temple and Jagannath Temple are notable.

The grand Pancharatna Govinda Temple was constructed in between 1823-1895 by the queen of Puthia. The temple has in total of five spires where four are present on the either corner of the temple and the fifth one is situated at the central of the rooftop. That’s why it’s called Pancharatna Temple. As the temple is dedicated to the Lord Krishna, the temple is fabulously decorated with extensive terracotta arts depicting the romance of Radha and Krishna.

The Bhubaneshwar Shiva Temple is the largest ever Shiva Temple in Bangladesh. It was erected in 1823 AD by Rani Bhubanmoyee Devi, the widow of Raja Jagat Narayan Roy. The temple is constructed by the side of a lake named Shiv Sagar which extends the environmental beauty of the temple. As similar to the Govinda temple this one is also built in five spire (Pancha Ratna) style and the alignment of these spires are same well. The corridors of the temple have a touch of famous Jaipuri architecture. The Shiva Linga inside the temple is largest as like as the temple in the country.

The Jagannath Temple is a very small temple which is about 5-10 metres in size. Jagannath is a hindu God and a form of Lord Shiva.

The Puthia Raj Estate maintained their existence till the termination of the zamindari (Landlord) system by the East Pakistan Estate Acquisition Act of 1950. The Puthia Palace and entire temple complex are now protected monument. The whole area of Puthia Palace is still a place of great wonder and full of histories that can enlighten the thirsty mind of visitors to a great extent.